Cambridge Science Centre opened in 2013 with the goal of introducing play and discovery into science, for young people and their families.
Why we exist:
- We are the only hands-on science centre in East Anglia, a place for children to enjoy hands-on learning and discovery.
- We serve disadvantaged and underserved communities throughout the region, who might otherwise miss out.
- We provide a route into science for all children, with a view to inspiring them to develop their skills later on. This is great for the UK economy.
Our solutions to the challenges we see:
- Our Cambridge base, open year-round with fun, interactive exhibitions and workshops, designed to open up science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
- Supporting schools with innovative outreach days, and our brand new COSMOS initiative. We're empowering teachers and children to discover more in each of the STEM subjects.
- Supporting families with COSMOS, allowing children to take what they've seen at the Centre, and continue exploring at home.
Some of our achievements to date:
- Since opening in 2013, we've reached over 130,000 people — over 99,000 in our Centre alone — with our range of interactive play and discovery exhibitions.
- Through the COSMOS Roadshow and our popular outreach days, we've popped up in over 20 local communities.
- Importantly, we don’t just deliver one-off moments of inspiration. We provide sustained on-going engagements in the communities that we work with to give children the best long-term benefits.