Join our team
Join us and help young people in Cambridge and beyond find a life-long interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
Check out our current vacancies below:
Application: Cover letter and CV
Closing Date: 4th January 2019
Help us change the world! Cambridge Science Centre opened in 2013 to:
- Spark the scientific curiosity within every child.
- Ignite an enduring passion for experimentation and discovery.
- Fuel self-belief in those who doubt their own potential.
- Illuminate pathways into Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) education and careers.
While we hope our audience will go on to study and work in STEM fields, we also place great value on the development of analytical young minds in general. With the unprecedented pace of environmental, technological and social change taking place right now, it has never been more important for young people to think objectively about the world around them, to be equipped with logical problem-solving skills and to feel empowered to make their own informed choices in life.
Whether they choose a future in STEM or not, we believe igniting a lasting passion for asking questions and having the courage and vocabulary to challenge perceived notions is of great value to all young people; helping them to live healthier and fulfilling lives and to make positive contributions to their communities.
We want children to explore their own potential, to dare to wonder where studying STEM subjects could lead them and who they may become; whether they wish to go from pupil to professor, or pipe-dreamer to pioneer – we want to invent the inventors!
We provide all of these opportunities and more via carefully designed interactive engagement programmes; delivered with passion by our well-qualified, highly credible Communicators.
We are looking for more inspiring people to join our team.
The role is permanent and full time. Working in the Delivery Team, you will be involved in all aspects of our science engagement with young learners, their teachers and their families. This includes joining the pool of science communicators working in our central Cambridge Science Centre, (this will include some weekend work) and also being out and about with our school and community Roadshows, a one week pop-up science centre that travels the region. You will be involved in set-up of the mobile Science Centre in a wide variety of locations, the delivery of shows, workshops and more, as well as packing-up and driving to the next site or back to the Centre. It is expected that within 6 months you will have progressed to be an event lead. This will involve being responsible for the planning of an event, coordinating the rest of the team as well as delivering the event professionally.
You will be able to bring your own particular areas of STEM expertise to the collaborative and creative processes of exhibit and show design, as well as taking part in the creative and vibrant life of all aspects of Cambridge Science Centre.
Desirable skills and experience for the role:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience of working with families, adults and children.
- Exceptional customer service skills and experience.
- A passion for science, technology, engineering and maths.
- An ability to organise own time and prioritise tasks.
- Computer literate and excellent presentation skills
Be part of the team with key responsibilities for:
- Supporting family and schools visits at the new science gallery.
- Visiting schools and community centres with our mobile, pop-up science centres.
- Explaining the science behind the exhibits, presenting stage shows & workshops.
- Assisting with gathering feedback for our unique research programme
Final bits and bobs
If this is something that really interests you, please send a cover letter and your CV to email@example.com and we’ll get back to you.
Applications close on the 4th January. We are aiming to conduct initial interviews during the week of the 7th January and, as part of your interview, you will be asked to give a short presentation.
All candidates are required to undergo a DBS (formerly CRB) check before appointment and must have a full, clean driving license.